Frictiometer® FR 700
Assessing Skin Friction
The friction measurement gives a measure of the smoothness of the skin. This is related to how dry the skin is as well as the wrinkles that are present. So the friction measurement can be used to distinguish between normal and dry skin as well as skin with and without wrinkles.
The Frictiometer® can be used to assess the smoothness of the skin following application of skin care products designed to make the skin smoother. Smoother skin will have lower values.
Where to use:
- The probe can measure friction of the skin as well as of other surfaces (e.g. textiles, papers, etc.).
- Skin characterization: The friction of the skin is depending on many parameters (dryness, smoothness, roughness, scaliness and other topographic properties)
- There is a close correlation between skin friction measurements and some sensorial impressions.
- Efficacy testing of skin care products: e.g. increasing smoothness, hydration, etc. The measurement is also sensitive to different kind of formulations, e.g. o/w vs.
- w/o (the w/o emulsions decrease the frictionary resistance more than the o/w emulsions and the effect is longer lasting)
- Effects of textiles and papers used on the skin (e.g. diapers, tissue, toilet paper, etc.): Different materials of course have different Frictiometer values. For testing, the material is pulled over the friction head and fixed in the notch. The frictionary resistance of the material may lead to irritation on the skin (which then can be assessed i.e. with the Mexameter®). It is possible to study e.g. the effects of untreated paper tissues on the skin in comparison with paper tissues containing additives.
Quick fact Frictiometer FR 700
- Constant pressure on the skin by the weight of the rotating disk
- Different velocities of rotation can be set
- The probe is especially sensitive and shows a broad scale of measuring results
- A notch on the measurement head allows the fixation of different materials on the probe head
- Measurement on different surfaces is possible (e.g textiles, plastic, metal and many more)
- It allows quick measurements as well as continuous measurements over a longer period
- The probe head can easily be cleaned after each measurement
- The Frictiometer FR 700 is connectable to the MPA systems (but not the MPA 2) and the MDD device.