Invitro Tewameter® VT 310
Tewitro® TW 24
Tewameter® TM Hex (New model 2020) TEWL measurement device
Ultimate Measurement of Transepidermal Water Loss and Beyond
The Tewameter® TM Hex (successor of the world-wide popular Tewameter® TM 300), unlike TM 300 which uses two pairs of humidity and temperature sensor, employs 30 pairs of sensors. It means 15 times more information with respect to the past. The sensors are arranged in 6 columns with 5 sensor pairs each and that’s why it’s call “HEX”.
With this high amount of data for each single measurement, the probe acts like a camera which “sees” the temperature and humidity distribution, thus giving extremely accurate, reproductive and quick results. Within seconds a robust TEWL value is measured with very low variation & measurement uncertainty.
Please watch the video below on the revolutionary new Tewameter® TM Hex.
Tewameter® TM Hex NEW 2020
Measurement uncertainty (Accuracy)
For the Tewameter® TM Hex for the first time the measurement uncertainty (in g/h/m²) is recorded with each measurement value. This is a unique accuracy feature for a skin measurement tool and it is directly displayed with the robust TEWL in the table.
When you zoom into the TEWL curve (by selecting an area with your mouse), the measurement uncertainty for the whole curve becomes visible as a grey band around the measurement graph.
In addition, through this high data volume, we do not only have knowledge about what is measured inside the probe but can calculate results also for the areas right outside probe, namely skin surface and ambience above the probe.
Thus, the calculation of new, exciting parameters is possible which may give interesting insights in several research fields.
• Local skin energy balance: for the first time it is possible to divide the body’s heat loss via the skin into heat diffusion from the body and evaporation cooling through water vapor.
• Water vapor concentration: the actual drive of TEWL
• Temperature of skin and ambience
• Relative Humidity of skin and ambience Especially the first two are totally unique and explained here in detail:
Local skin energy balance:
Skin is constantly emitting energy in two ways: through heat diffusion and through evaporation cooling. For the first time these two can be recorded during a TEWL measurement and displayed separately and in total. The measured values are expressed in W/m².
Water vapor concentration cH20 Skin & Ambience:
This parameter expresses the absolute humidity in g/m³. The difference between the value measured on the skin and in the ambience is the drive, the motor for the TEWL. In addition this parameter gives more details about the measurement conditions (e.g. atmospheric turbulences).
Advantages of “Open Chamber” :
• Measurement of the TEWL without any influences of the micro climate of the skin (pressure, occlusion, temperature).
• No waiting time between the measurements.
• With the “open chamber” method of the Tewameter® TM Hex even high water loss values can be detected accurately as no water is collected inside the probe
• Traceable, sophisticated calibration of humidity, temperature and TEWL to
• Worldwide most used device for TEWL measurement (even approved in
space!). Several hundreds of performed studies with the Tewameter® proof
Advantages of Tewameter® TM Hex :
• Extremely accurate, quick and robust measurement of the TEWL with the
information of 30 sensor pairs.
• A very stable measurement is achieved quickly within 20 seconds; continuous measurements over longer
periods are also possible depending on the application.
• Due to the high amount of measurement data, the probe can “see” the values like a camera.
• Unobstructed view to the measurement surface and unobstructed evaporation flow.
• Robust sensor placement in the wall inside the measurement head.
• Due to the high amount of collected data measurements not only inside the probe but also on top and below the probe (ambience and skin surface).
• Exciting new parameters beyond TEWL: e.g. skin temperature, water vapor concentration and local skin energy balance in W/m divided into evaporation cooling and heat diffusion.
• Sophisticated offset function to check the probe and compensate its “aging effects”.
• First probe with documented, extremely low measurement uncertainty visible for each single measurement value.
• Perfect placing on the skin is possible by this TEWL measurement device. The arrow on the probe head shows the direction of diffusion. A message in the software appears if the probe is put on upside down.
• Hygienic cap (disposable)
• Last not least it is part of the new software MPA CTplus with its many advantages and exciting new features.
Where to use:
The measurement of the TEWL and the quality of the barrier function of the skin is the basic measurement for all cosmetic applications:
• Indispensable instrument for formulation, claim support and efficacy & safety testing of skin care, household product, raw materials and pharmaceutical products
• Typical claims (example) with the Tewameter®: barrier improvement, regenerating, protecting, for sensitive skin, calming/soothing, vitalizing, nonoccluding, tolerable, anti-irritation, anti-pollution, etc.
• Sweat studies (antiperspirant efficacy)
• Patch Tests
• Standard in dermatological basic research on humans and animals.
• In occupational health the measurement of the skin barrier function can show the necessity of using skin protection products.
• Other industries, e.g. textile-, nutrition, packaging, paper/tissue are using this measurement.
• Local skin energy balance could be an exciting new parameter for different research fields: e.g. sports, nutrition & food supplements, textile, micro circulation, sleep medicine, special cooling products, etc.
Advantages of “Open Chamber” :