Meibometer® MB 560 is a unique device to Measure the Lacrimal Fluid’s Lipid Content
Lipids produced by the Meibomian glands keep the moisture of the tear fluid, thereby prevent the eyes from drying and keep them clear with comfortable vision. The typical dry eye problem is caused when the lipid production at the Meibomian glands is disrupted. The tear film becomes destabilized and can break down quickly, creating dry spots on the surface of the eyes. The Meibometer® is the first and only measurement tool worldwide offering an interesting and unique approach to assess this deficiency.
The measurement is based on grease spot photometry. The Meibometer® strip consisting of the well-established Sebumeter® tape is brought into contact with the lacrimal fluid on the lower eyelid margin in form of a loop. It becomes transparent according to the lipid content of the tear film. Then the strip is inserted with the slider into the device and the transparency is measured by a photocell and shown as a curve. The peak of the light transmission curve represents the lipid content (where the loop has been in full contact with the lacrimal fluid).
Video on the use of the Meibometer®:
Where to use:
There are several applications in human and veterinary ophthalmologic basic research where the sebum content of the lacrimal fluid is of interest.
- It is important for basic research on the Meibomian glands and the tear film.
- It is used for basic research of the course of eye diseases, especially the dry eye syndrome.
- Comparing the result of dry eye treatment before and after treatment and follow-up.
- It is important for efficacy testing of pharmaceutical and the safety testing of cosmetic products (e.g. eye care, contact lenses and decorative cosmetics).
- Typical claims (examples) substantiated with the Meibometer®: against “dry eye”, for sensitive skin, anti-irritation, soothing, tolerable, anti-allergic, and more.
- Special application: assessing the sebum easily and conveniently on parted hair with an optional applicator – ideal for R&D of hair care products (claim support and efficacy testing) as well as dermatological basic research.
Quick fact Meibometer® MB 560
- Quick and easy handling of the foil strip for collecting the lacrimal fluid.
- Low cost and reproducible measurement with the strip slider of the device.
- Display of the lipid content results in the software.
- Interface and power supply by USB connection, no extra power supply needed.
- Some interesting literature performed with the device exists.
Dimensions: 13 x 5 x 18.2 cm (+ 11 cm with extended slider), Power supply: via interface USB 2.0, type B connector, Weight: 0.9 kg , Measurement principle: photometrical, Strip: Sebumeter® foil
Computer: Windows® 10, USB 2.0/3.0, performance must meet system requirements (please ask for computer requirements).
Technical changes may be made without prior notice.